Sunday, November 2, 2008

Pre-Election Thoughts

At a football game in Marietta, Ohio, Sarah Palin was greeted by enthusiastic fans and a cheerleader who asked her, "do you do jokes?"...Apparently she's never heard Palin talk about the environment before.

A Faux News headline read: "Opposing Views: Are the Media Biased in This Presidential Election?" Results pointed to yes, but Sean Hannity dismissed it as "more liberal propaganda."

As I'm writing this I'm watching the New England Patriots battle, to quote Hunter S., "those swine known as the Indianapolis Colts." In between Madden's dribble and some scoring from both sides GOP ads are run in regards to Rev. Wright and Obama, a few ads for the promise of Change are aired as well.

The NFL has always been as political as politics in this country, it's a Lawyer's game, which is part of the beauty. Yet, unlike parts of Europe our teams are non-partisan. My Italian cousin asked me if the Pittsburgh Steelers were a Republican team or a Democrat team. I explained to him that no such thing existed. In the U.S., sports are sports, politics are politics. If we had to assign parties to teams though, I'd have to say that the best candidate for the Republican team would be the Indianapolis Colts, Dallas Cowboys in a close second. The Indianapolis Colts have Peyton Manning, who along with his brother Eli and father Archie comprise the Bush family of the NFL. They're iconic figures for America, especially the middle, the people that like to go to church on Sunday. With the Indianapolis Colts being the Republican team, the referees would be the mainstream media. Although I have to admit I haven't seen the Colts getting the breaks they've gotten in years past this year, maybe somebody finally complained.

The Democratic team is a bit tougher to call. The Green Bay Packers or the Pittsburgh Steelers may seem like obvious candidates, but I'm being realistic here. Both teams are too pure, too genuine, too respectable, not corporate enough. I'm going to go with the San Diego Chargers as the Democrat team. Reason being I can't think of any other team in recent years that's better at beating themselves.

For the record, the Indianapolis Colts won the game, and I sure as hell wasn't rooting for them.

No comments: