Friday, July 4, 2008

Darcy Burner/News Highlights

A college student at the University of Minnesota is being pressed with criminal charges because he posted his vote on E-bay. Whoever was the winning bidder, he would cast his vote for the candidate of their choice--It'd be ironic if the high-bidder was a Nader supporter.

The student's actions violated an 1893 law which makes it a crime to buy or sell a vote. The student could be facing up to 5 years in prison and a $10,000 fine. A bit extreme, considering election fraud goes unpunished in this country.

As for the bidding, the vote received no bids. Apparently, American citizens feel that having one vote that doesn't count is enough.

Recently John McCain was accused of having acted inappropriately toward a one time associate of Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega. Apparently he forcefully grabbed the associate by the collar in 1987, shortly after his 90th birthday.

The source here is Mississippi Senator Thad Cochran. According to Cochran McCain is erratic and hot-tempered. Old, cranky, hot-tempered, erratic and irrational, if that doesn't say time to heal up those foreign relations and spread some peace I don't know what does!

In more serious news, Darcy Burner, Congressional hopeful for Washington's 8th District, lost her home and cat several nights ago. Fortunately, she and her family are safe and escaped uninjured. Her Ames Lake home caught fire early Tuesday morning, and burned down to the ground at a very rapid pace.

There are not many politicians out there that I feel good about, to be quite frank, but I consider myself very fortunate here in Washington because I think there are some people here that are doing amazing things, and are people that I truly consider the good guys. Darcy Burner is certainly one of them. Darcy has done some remarkable work with the military and continues her efforts in ending the conflict in Iraq. She has also contributed immense amounts of support to the Health Care reform initiatives jump-started by several non-profits and Jim McDermott(Washington's 7th) and his staff, some of whom I have had the pleasure of meeting and have had discussions with.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Darcy several times and I've performed for her once. She's an absolutely wonderful individual, I'm really impressed by her, and if I lived in the 8th District she'd have my vote hands down. (I live in the 7th). Also, I'd like to extend my appreciation to MoveOn.org for making a post in regards to Darcy so rapidly. I wish Darcy and her family the very best in this time of need.

No comments: